Monday, July 18, 2011

Sometimes you just need to cry


Over the last 2 years I have avoided reading stories of infertility. I haven't joined any online support groups, read any blogs, bought any books. I have relied on talking to my friends and reassurance from my doctors to help me get through this. On Friday, a friend of mine who is struggling with infertility herself, recommended a book to me. Empty Womb, Aching Heart is a collection of stories from women and men who have dealt with infertility. Most of the stories made me cry, but a lot made me laugh as well. The stories are centered around God and how faith has helped these families keep a sense of realness about their situation. The book is not filled with "Trust God" stories, but makes you realize that this sucks. It is okay to be hurt, and angry, but that we are not always in control. I have struggled with this thought. I used to be the "every Sunday" church going Christian. Then I started working on Sundays. Now, 3 years after leaving that job, I have still found it difficult to get back into the routine of church. I have always struggled with the idea of organized religion but recently I have let my faith in Him lapse as a result. This book helped put into perspective all of the thoughts and bitterness and resentment that I have been feeling. It was also a little funny to read other people's stories of the idiotic things that people say. "Just relax" Have a bottle of wine" Go on vacation" One woman was told that maybe God knew she wouldn't be a good mother. Really! In my own experience, I have been told that there is no such thing as "problem" but that I am trying too hard. Most of the people just don't know what to say. Others just lack a sensitivity chip. For anyone that is going through this journey, this book will make you cry. But sometimes, crying is therapeutic. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a Christ-centered perspective on infertility.

No comments: